In order to make features of our website easy, useful, and reliable, we sometimes need to place small amounts of information on your device, for example, computer or mobile phone. These include small files known as cookies. They cannot be used to identify you personally.
The information on this page relates to PDMS' website. You should read this policy so that you can understand what type of cookies we use, the information we collect using cookies and how that information is used.
What are cookies?
Cookies are little text files which are stored on the browser or hard drive of your computer or mobile device when you visit a webpage or application. Cookies work to make your experience browsing our site as smooth as possible and they remember your preferences, so you don’t have to insert your details again and again.
There are different types of cookies. Some cookies originate directly from our website and others are provided by third parties, whose services are integrated into our site.
Cookies are stored for varying lengths of time on your browser or device. If the cookie relates only to a particular visit (session), then they are deleted from your computer or device when you close your web-browser. Persistent cookies will remain stored on your computer or device until deleted or until they reach their expiry date.
There are 4 types of cookies which operate on our website:
- Essential | In order for you to be able to fully experience the functionality of our site, it is necessary for some cookies to be placed on your device. Without these cookies, some parts of our site just won’t work as they should.
- Functional | These cookies allow our users to customise how a website looks for them; they can for example, remember usernames, language preferences and regions and remembering if you’ve been to the site before so that messages intended for first-time users are not displayed to you.
- Performance | In order for us to know about how our site is used and to help us to make it better we use some cookies. For example, these cookies count the number of visitors to our website and see how visitors move around when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our site works, for example, by ensuring that users find what they are looking for easily.
- Advertising | These cookies are used to deliver advertised content which is relevant to you and they can be used to chart the effectiveness of an ad campaign by tracking users’ clicks. These cookies are placed on our site by our third party service providers and they may remember your web browsing activity and may be used to understand about your demographics, such as age and gender. Only anonymised information is captured and used and the purpose is to provide you with content which is relevant to you.
How to control and delete cookies
However, if you wish to accept, refuse, restrict, or delete, the cookies which are set by our website, or indeed any other website, you can do this through your browser settings. The 'Help' function within your browser should tell you how.
Alternatively, you may wish to visit https://www.aboutcookies.org/how-to-delete-cookies/ which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of browsers. You will also find details on how to delete cookies from your machine as well as more general information about cookies.
Please be aware that restricting cookies may impact on the functionality of our website, and you may be unable to access certain areas of our website and / or certain functions and pages will not work in the usually expected way.
To opt-out of third-parties collecting any data regarding your interaction on our website, please refer to their websites for further information.
Cookies for your security
Cookies for managing your current visit
To remember who you are as you move from page to page of the website, particularly after logging in to a service.
We use a number of "session" cookies which may include "fw-session" and "ASPSessionIDrandomletters". These store your session ID to allow the site to recognise your movement around the site as being from one computer. These cookies expire when you close your browser or log out, and contain no personal information about you.
Cookies to support specific elements of the site
- Cookies to record that we have already presented you with a piece of information which you would find intrusive and annoying if we continually re-presented. These may include notifications about the availability of new features or applications, and warning notices
- Cookies to retain settings or choices that you have made earlier during your visit to our site, so that we can reapply those choices when you revisit the relevant pages. These save you effort in reselecting the settings or making the choice, improving your experience of the website. For example, pre-populating complex search criteria screens with previous values, or collating selections you have made throughout your visit.
Cookies set by other websites through this site
We want to provide interesting and engaging content on our website. On a number of pages we embed media such as YouTube videos. The suppliers of these services may also set cookies on your device when you visit the pages where we have used this type of content. These are known as 'third-party' cookies. We do not control how a third party uses their cookies. You should check these third-party websites' privacy policies for more information about their cookies if you are concerned about this.
Cookies for measuring the performance of the website
By understanding how people use the website, we can make improvements to the navigation and content to make the site better and easier to access.
We use Google Analytics and Hotjar to gather data on the number of people accessing this website, where they are accessing from, what pages they visit, and what technology they are using. Google Analytics and Hotjar cannot identify you personally but does allow us to understand our users as a group, for example by recording what browsers are being used and how they are interacting with the website through visitor behaviour patterns.
Cookies set by Google Analytics script
Name: _utma | Typical content: randomly generated number | Expires: 2 years
Name: _utmb | Typical content: randomly generated number | Expires: 30 minutes
Name: _utmc | Typical content: randomly generated number | Expires: when user exits browser
Name: _utmz | Typical content: randomly generated number and information about how the page was reached (eg directly or via a link, organic search or paid search) | Expires: 6 months
Name: __utmmobile | Typical content: randomly generated number | Expires: 2 years
Cookies set by Hotjar script
Name: _hjClosedSurveyInvites | Typical content: Hotjar cookie. This cookie is set once a visitor interacts with a Survey invitation modal popup. It is used to ensure that the same invite does not re-appear if it has already been shown | Expires: 365 days
Name: _hjDonePolls | Typical content: Hotjar cookie. This cookie is set once a visitor completes a poll using the Feedback Poll widget. It is used to ensure that the same poll does not re-appear if it has already been filled in | Expires: 365 days
Name: _hjMinimizedPolls | Typical content: Hotjar cookie. This cookie is set once a visitor minimizes a Feedback Poll widget. It is used to ensure that the widget stays minimizes when the visitor navigates through your site | Expires: 365 days
Name: _hjDoneTestersWidgets | Typical content: Hotjar cookie. This cookie is set once a visitor submits their information in the Recruit User Testers widget. It is used to ensure that the same form does not re-appear if it has already been filled in | Expires: 365 days
Name: _hjMinimizedTestersWidgets | Typical content: Hotjar cookie. This cookie is set once a visitor minimizes a Recruit User Testers widget. It is used to ensure that the widget stays minimizes when the visitor navigates through your site | Expires: 365 days
Name: _hjIncludedInSample | Typical content: Hotjar cookie. This session cookie is set to let Hotjar know whether that visitor is included in the sample which is used to generate funnels | Expires: 365 days
Name: _hjShownFeedbackMessage | Typical content: This cookie is set when a visitor minimizes or completes Incoming Feedback. This is done so that the Incoming Feedback will load as minimized immediately if they navigate to another page where it is set to show | Expires: 365 days